I can’t believe it’s been 10 years. I feel sort of old. Granted, I was a freshman in high school when Britney’s “Hit Me Baby One More Time” hit the airwaves. I remember instantly hating her, mostly because of her orange-tinted skin on that album’s cover. (Though despite my public disdain for the pop singer, my toes couldn’t help tapping and my hips swaying whenever the song came on the radio.)
The next year I called into a radio show to try to win her new album by singing “Oops...I did it again” to the DJ. Honestly, I failed at it...and then the damn DJ put my failure on the air. I hoped no one would hear it. Alas, an obnoxious senior chased me down the hall the next day screaming, “I heard you on the radio after school yesterday in the pottery studio!” I was mortified. Regardless, “Oops” is still one of my favorite songs.
As a responsible adult, I feel it’s okay for me to admit my love for Britney (as I’ve proclaimed here before). And to listen to her music. Because if I was 15, I can’t imagine my mother would be okay with me listening to her latest single, “3.”
It’s catchy as hell. I can’t wait to dance to it in my room when I download it later tonight, actually. But the lyrics are a) stupid and b) perverted. It’s like the musical equivalent of “Gossip Girl” -- made to target teenagers yet completely inappropriate. I love it the way it sounds, though.
The video was just released today. It’s a bit lackluster, and probably banking on the popularity of Lady Gaga’s hyper-sexual videos---which is working for her, that’s for sure.
Long live Pop!
0 comments:
Post a Comment