WELCOME TO POP-THOUGHTS!

This is a space where commentary on pop culture, its phenoms, femmes, and flops, roam free. Opinions of all kinds welcome!

Barbie Goes Live-Action!

Well, it’s about time!!

Yes, that sentence required two exclamation points.

I was just wondering when this might happen the other day. ... After a lot of straight-to-video Barbie animated films for kids, Universal Pictures is at long last looking to make a live-action Barbie flick.

Variety.com reports...

Universal Pictures has added Barbie to its star stable.

The studio has made a deal with Mattel to build a live action film around its signature toy line. Studios are placing a premium on building films around well-known concepts. Universal brass feels it has landed the queen of globally branded toy figures.

Laurence Mark will produce.

According to Mattel, the 50-year old Barbie has 99% worldwide brand awareness, is the number one girls property in the toy industry, the top doll property in the U.S. and the number one worldwide property in the traditional toy industry.

Click Here to read the rest of the article.


Say what you will about the antifeminism of the doll, but Barbie is a pop culture diva, Our Lady of Blondeness and Unattainable Perfection. But Barbie has evolved over the years. And let’s not forget that Barbie has held over 120 jobs. She’s been a doctor, a vet, a rock star, a great older sister in the face of absent parents, she’s a homeowner, the owner of multiple vehicles, I’m willing to be she doesn’t have massive amounts of debt, and she’s been in a steady relationship with Ken for quite a long time — talk about progressive!

As a little girl, I was obsessed with my Barbies. Barbie and I did everything together. And parked next to her pink Corvette was a white Jeep...and a Tonka Truck. Yes, that’s right — my Barbies built cities in the dirt and the snow. Barbie is a toy that inspires young girls to be creative. I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of film Universal will put together. So far, no cast has been announced. Who do you think should play Barbie? Reese Witherspoon? Anna Farris? Megan Fox? I veto all of the above. Here’s hoping they find a great unknown and Hollywood will get a new star.

Until the film comes out, I’ll have to settle for re-watching one of my all-time favorite SNL moments: Kristen Wiig on Weekend Update as Barbie celebrating her 50th anniversary. Highly recommended.

0 comments:

Post a Comment