A new video has been released by Eminem. I used to be a huge fan of his, loving nearly every track on his albums and really hitting a high point with "The Eminem Show" in 2002 or 2001, then taking home an Oscar for "Lose Yourself" off the 8 Mile soundtrack. His last album, "Encore," from 2004 was one of the worst things I've ever purchased. It's a piece of shit. And I didn't think it could get too much worse...until I saw this new video. The song is awful. It's nothing but pop culture references--which is something he's always dropped into his music--and seems doomed to irrelevance in 6 months or less. I mean, Amy Winehouse? Please. She became irrelevant last year. Jessica Simpson? No one cares and she just got dropped from her record label. No one will remember her in another year. Sarah Palin? Okay, there are still some jokes to be had, though that's my opinion, and when the election ended, so did her national spotlight for the most part. By now she's all but forgotten (which makes it even more sad that Tyra Banks had to resort to having Levi Johnston on her show last week--barf!)
It almost seems like Eminem's newest song and video were done last year. It's sad that Eminem has become so irrelevant. Though maybe it's because nothing shocks us as Americans anymore. Was he the last great shock? There hadn't really been a mainstream shock popper since Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video.
Where will we go from here? We've already seen Britney and Paris's hoo-haws (now that's old news!). Maybe someone should bring back the mashed potato and the twist. Maybe pop culture needs to seriously mellow out and calm down in order to become relevant once again.
Just to scorch your eyes, here's a link to Em's horrible new video for the underwhelming single "We Made You" on YouTube (sorry, I'm not able to embed because Universal Music Group won't let me).
CLICK HERE to view it.
And just for shock pop nostalgia's sake, here's Madonna's old "Like A Prayer" video:
WELCOME TO POP-THOUGHTS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment